Beginner At Running

12:22 Amy 6 Comments



I have never been able to run without losing my breath almost instantly or just looking like a fool who doesn't know what they are doing! I have lost weight and I now want to tone up some muscles and also running would aid my weight loss which is a win win for my body.

The hardest part for me is getting started, where to begin? I've decided I am going to stick with the trainers I have for now and I already own a selection of workout gear which is suitable. I don't want to be purchasing all this high end gear if I'm not going to stick to it. My motivation is also that my other half as promised me a pair of running shoes after I have stuck to this for a reasonable length of time.

My goal is to be able to run for at least 20 minutes as I am a beginner and then work my way up. I'm hoping now better weather and lighter nights are on the way that it will push me to go out and give it a go! I am finding playlists to add to my phone, I find music helps me perform better when trying to focus on exercise. 

I want to set myself a challenge to prove to myself more than anyone that If I put my mind to it I can do this. I'm hoping now the weather is picking up a little it will give me the push in the right direction, it's just knowing where to start.

I have Purchased some new trainers to motivate me for a bargain of £35 Can't wait for them to come!

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it!

Amy

6 comments:

  1. Couch to 5k has really helped me! It's a 9 week programme via podcast that you listen to. It starts you from a proper beginner, running for 60 seconds at time, all the way to be able to run for 30 minutes. Next week I'm on week 5 and at the end of it I have to run for 20 minutes. If that's your goal then it should really help you!

    www.cakeydreamer.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will make it my mission to try this out! It sounds like it could work well for me. I will keep you updated.

      Amy x

      Delete
  2. As Sian said Couch to 5k apps are really good. I'm hopeless at running for long distances but I'm slowly improving. I find for me the biggest issue isn't my body, I have a mental block on it, so unless it's hurting ignore the horrible voice in your head that tries to tell you that you can't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rosie, I think I'm just scared of looking like a fool to others!
    Amy
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found that I looked too silly running for 1 minute then running for 30 seconds on the Couch to 5k, so instead I ran for as long as I could, then had a 2 minute break to catch my breath, ran as far as I could again etc. Then I used Nike + Running app to see how far I could run and used it to improve each time. I ran 5k a lot quicker (in less than 8 weeks... 4 weeks). So it depends on what suits you best :) My friend sticks to a time limit ie. 30 minutes, and she'll run and walk for exactly 30minutes and try and improve her distance of running each week, (Nike + app lets you know when you've beaten your last distance).

    Good Luck! xx

    Mojichlo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's interesting to know, thanks Chloe! I'll have a look into the Nike app also, be nice with my new nike trainers.

      xx

      Delete